Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tipped On Reading Gladwell

Do you ever feel as though every one you know has read particular book except you?  This is the case for me with Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point:  How Little Things Can Make A Big Difference (2000).  Somehow, Gladwell's book slipped into conversation at various points with several of my friends throughout the past 10 years; but it wasn't until this summer when my pedicurist, of all people, shared her enthusiasm for the book that I felt compelled to pick it up.  I'm so glad I did. 

Gladwell perhaps best describes his book as an "intellectual adventure story" that uses popular examples (Hush Puppy Shoes, Sesame Street, Blue's Clues, Paul Revere, and more) to illustrate how phenomenons "tip" from insignificance to relevance and popularity.  The result is a fascinating thesis, made even better by Gladwell's strong mind and clear writing.  He's a natural at building cases and writing arguments.  Recommended for anyone who's curious about the world around them.  Highly recommended on audio book (well read by the author). 

No comments:

Post a Comment